From Katie and Alicia
What an awesome four years it has been! It has flown by, but as we sit here and write our final editorial, we are amazed at what CYT has achieved in this time. When we started in 2015, we were immediately struck by the openness and drive of all of our young artists. This attitude and level of commitment has intensified over the years and this is why CYT is regarded as one of the leading youth theatre companies in Australia.
CYT has accomplished so much in recent years;
- Skin at the National Portrait Gallery in August 2015, which set the tone for the style of work that continues to this day,
- The rebrand of CYT in 2016, shifting the company into the contemporary space along with our new website design.
- The incredibly successful work The Verbatim Project, which provided a platform for the young and older voices in our community to be heard. We were so pleased that we were able to share this work over two years, in Canberra and Sydney.
- Our annual fundraising event, CYT Night Out, has gone from strength to strength with the amazing support of our community.
- The exceptional quality of our Workshops Program where young artists have the freedom to explore what matters to them, and develop theatre where their voices are always heard.
- Our young artists have been exposed to so many elements of the theatre industry and through the production program they have worked with professional directors, playwrights and other specialist artists.
Most importantly, we are proud to have created a home for all of our young people where they are safe to be themselves.
We couldn’t do our jobs without the incredible people we have worked over the years, our office staff, tutors, creatives, and board who have shown fierce commitment, investment and care for Canberra Youth Theatre. Thank you to Ainslie and Gorman Arts Centres along with our wider community for all of your support and belief in what we do.
And finally to you, our very special young people.
You are the reason we come to work every day.
Stay strong in your voice, and look after each other.
Katie and Alicia